Most people have no idea how good their body is supposed to feel. So many are living with nagging health issues and chronic aches and pains that they have lost touch with what a normal human condition feels like. Pay attention to the conversations you have with others and you will instantly understand what I am talking about. Everyday I spend hours talking with people and these conversations typically revolve around how generally worn out people feel.
Feeling chronically tired, experiencing achy joints, frequent headaches, bloating, skin allergies, or just generally fatigued has somehow become an accepted state of being. It is common for people to think that their knees hurting all the time is somehow normal. Or that they feel wiped out every afternoon because they are “busy” with jobs, kids and every other life demand. Add to this that everyone they talk to has the same feelings so obviously this is normal. Wrong! I am here to tell you this is not how you have to live. As a health coach, I gauge the state of someone’s health based upon a wide variety of factors but the three primary areas are:
- Freedom from Medications
- Body Composition
A truly normal state of existence involves feeling generally good, not feeling generally bad.
What are your physical energy levels like throughout the day? You should feel ready to tackle the day shortly after waking (without the assistance of caffeine). Your energy will subside throughout the day because we run on a cycle with the sun and the moon but you shouldn’t feel like you need a nap or more coffee midday.
Energy also involves mental and emotional aspects. Do you have a clear mind and sharp thinking throughout day or are you living with brain-fog? Are you interested in sex? Do you overall feel enthusiastic about life or are you going through the motions?
We are currently the most medicated society in history yet we wonder why we have sky-rocketing health care costs. Unfortunately we have become glutenous in taking advantage of modern medicine. While advancement in disease treatment is saving lives, we now expect medicine to replace proper lifestyle and nutrition practices. People relying on sleep medications rather than practicing proper sleep hygiene. It has become “easier” to take high blood pressure and cholesterol medications rather than eating a whole food diet. This mentality is not only lazy but it is not sustainable! You cannot medicate health. A normal human existence is being free from medication and something you have total control over.
While there is not one “ideal” body composition, there are levels of body fat mass versus skeletal muscle mass that are measurements of health. High levels of excessive adipose tissue are markers for poor health. Adequate levels of skeletal muscle mass are equally important in supporting health and longevity. When it comes to body composition, ask yourself if your current body allows you to move freely in what you enjoy, without limitations. Do you use clothing to hide your body or do you feel emotionally confident in your physical being?
Discover How Great Your Body Can Feel
So now that you know what feeling good involves, how do you move towards it? The answer is you have to take action and give yourself a chance to experience what a normal human existence really feels like. Stop accepting less than ideal existence and start making changes. I have am providing you with a few actionable steps to get you started.
4 Steps to Finally Start Feeling Good
- Eat Real Food! You cannot expect your body to function properly without proper fuel. Remove all highly processed foods and eat adequate amounts of meat, vegetables and healthy fats. The lotus | nutrition meal plans are designed exactly for this purpose and help you make this transition easy.
- Practice sleep hygiene. Your body cannot repair itself and function properly without adequate, quality sleep. Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day to allow your body to work according to it’s natural energy cycle. Avoid electronics for 2 hours before bed.
- Move your body! Get fresh air, go for a walk or hit the gym. If you are new to exercise, keep it simple. The upcoming LOTUS | LIFE Couch to Confidence program will help you get started. You don’t need fancy movements or equipment to start feeling better. If exercise is already part of your life, remember that exercise is meant to improve your energy not zap it. Keep the intensity in-line with your function.
- Spend time alone and in complete silence. You cannot listen to your body if you are constantly surrounded by noise. My daily practice involves time alone at the beginning and end of each day. This can be as little as 5-10 minutes. Try it and see what a difference you feel in how you approach each day.
- Surround yourself with people who build you up and accept you for who you are. Do not allow people into your life if they do not enhance it. Find people who are also striving to live a life of fulfillment and hold onto them dearly.
Do not accept nagging health issues, chronic fatigue, aches and pains and lack of fulfillment as normal. Take action and finally experience how good your body can feel.